Nurse Fact Sheet
Providing Positive Support to Pregnant and Parenting Teens:
What School Nurses Can Do to Support Educational Success
Pregnant and parenting teens face many barriers in attending and succeeding in school. “Nurses are in an ideal position to support the health and wellbeing of pregnant and parenting teens and contribute to their lifelong success by linking them to resources and advocating for policies and practices that promote high school graduation.” Schools nurses can provide assistance in pregnancy identification, providing parenting education, support in preventing additional pregnancies and participation and leadership of multidisciplinary teams that plan and support accommodations for students.
Develop a supportive relationship with pregnant and parenting teen
- Be someone to talk to. A teen needs safe places to talk without judgment.
- Encourage postpartum teen to return to school
- Promote school involvement/engagement (teens who are less likely to have a subsequent pregnancy and engage in risky behaviors)
Collaborate with student, family, school staff and medical providers
- To plan for care of student during pregnancy
- To provide support and interventions to pregnant teen to ensure safety and well-being.
- To support academic success of student before and after pregnancy.
- To provide well-child, immunizations or dental clinics for teen families.
- To develop community partnerships to provide onsite services or specific community services (i.e. WIC, Medicaid enrollment, child development services).
Increase awareness of the available services offered at school, the school-based health center and in the community for teen parents and their children
- School-based health centers
- Prenatal care and family planning services
- Primary health care, mental health and substance abuse services
- Case management and family support services
- Teen parent support groups and young father programs
- Quality and affordable child care
- Parenting and life skills education, including early childhood programs like home visiting
- Transportation, housing and economic assistance
Promote a friendly school culture for teen parents
Think You Might Be Pregnant
Drugs, Alcohol & Pregnancy
What are my School Options?
Where to Get Healthcare
Paying the Bills
Get Emotional Support
A Safe Environment for You
Being a Mom or Dad
Your Legal Rights